Saturday, March 21, 2020

Uphill


The Spring weather was irresistibly inviting today, so we went out for a walk around Grant's Tomb, moving out of the way of other strollers like magnets as we walked. With time I started smiling at people as I did this, to make clear it was a gesture of care, not fear... though, to be honest, there's fear in the background too.

Decided to post this picture to my WeChat account - haven't posted anything in a while. We've been receiving increasingly concerned messages from people in China, so I thought a general update was in order. (And I wanted matter-of-factly to use "covid-19," not the xenophobic moniker of our viral President.) I'm not sure I can say explicitly that official messaging on both sides is not to be trusted, as both governments are scrambling to distract from their failures.