Sunday, July 14, 2024

Exposed

Our split mediaverses are spinning out conspiracy theories about the attempted assassination yesterday. It's beyond depressing to consider that they will likely never converge. The breach, the disproportion between the obscure shooter and the implications of his (always his) act, is always too great. (Back in my Problem of Evil days I argued the same even about great miscreants, never worthy of the harm they caused.) For my part I've been aware all day of the space behind the nape of my neck, as if something's rustling there, something I imagine DJT may be feeling too. How exposed our heads are, how vulnerable. And to think someone 400 feet away could acquire a device to aim so precisely that a casual move of one's head, talking or gesturing or just leaning back or forward, could make the difference between life and death...